The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARDs), has issued a nationwide strike notice, effective September 4.
According to Premium Times, the President of NARDs, Mr. Olusegun Olaopa on Wednesday made this known in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ibadan.
- Mr. Olaopa said that the resident doctors wants to press home their demands through this strike action.
- He mentioned in a statement that the action was resolved at the NEC meeting of the NARDs, held in Abuja on August 26 to embark on the strike.
The statement read thus;
“Neither the federal nor state governments has shown commitment to the resolution of issues at stake nor honoured previous agreements”.
“Consequent upon this, the association resolved to proceed on a total indefinite industrial action from Monday, September 4, 2017, until all these issues are permanently resolved”.
“Nationwide pre-strike protests against this injustice are to hold in all our branches and states of the federation on August 30, 2017″.
“All heads of tertiary health institutions who have received funding for payments to our members should be directed to pay same immediately,”
Why this matters;
The members of NARDs are demanding for the resolution of persistent shortfalls and unpaid arrears of salaries earned in both federal and state tertiary health institutions according to Premium Times.
Other issues include;
- Enrolment of resident doctors into the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information Sysytem (IPPIS) since 2003.
- Non-implementation of adjusted House Officers’ Entry grade level equivalent since 2014.
- Resolution of issues around their stagnation of promotion and non-promotion of members who have met requisite criteria despite all collective bargaining agreements and circulars.